Today President Biden signed the Inflation Reduction Act, the single biggest investment in the clean energy economy and a significant achievement more than 30 years in the making.
The $750 billion health care, tax and climate law:
- Will reduce domestic greenhouse emissions by 42% below 2005 levels by 2030.
- Makes a huge step forward in reaching net zero emissions by 2050 and avoiding the worst impacts of climate change.
- Penalizes fossil fuel companies for excess methane emissions from drilling oil and gas.
- Provides funding for rural communities and those with fossil-fueled based economies to transition to clean energy.
- Dedicates billions of dollars for electric vehicle and clean energy tax breaks and incentives for appliances and technologies to increase energy efficiency in homes.
- Announces to the world that the United States is serious about its COP agreements.
The Cleanie Awards® is the only comprehensive awards program recognizing leaders driving the clean energy economy, and we applaud Congress and the Biden Administration for this historic achievement. Yet, we recognize signing the Inflation Reduction Act doesn’t mean the fight against climate change is over. We can’t lose momentum. Now more than ever, we need state and local governments and private sector leadership to work together toward 2030. Climate change is a national emergency, and everyone needs to do their part.
For us, doing our part means continuing to invite more individuals, NGOs, corporations, and associations working for a sustainable future into our winner’s circle. We’re expanding our national footprint with events across both coasts. We’re anticipating another year of growth and a triple-digit increase in submissions. We know that to create change, we need to work together and celebrate those who are working with us. We’re just getting started.